The History of Morrinsville
From Swamp to Township
Swamps and streams of the Piako and Waitoa catchments were filled with eel weirs, which provided an important food source for Māori. New Zealand tuna or eels are rich in omega 3 fatty acid and were a nutritious staple in the traditional diet.
Prior to European settlement, the hills around present-day Morrinsville were occupied by the Ngāti Werewere people of the Ngati Hauā iwi. The site of the Morrinsville township is believed to be on or near to an old Māori route that connected the upper Waihou-Piako basin and the Ngāruawāhia area.
Originally both the township and the area were called Piako. Over time the town name was changed to Morrinsville. The hotel incorporated a post office and a store. Later a junction railway station and blacksmiths shop were added to the township.
Services to the community were established as the township grew with some of the first buildings being a school, the post office, churches, a new hotel, a creamery, a tennis club, and a part-time BNZ agency.
Beyond the Landing - The History of Morrinsville District
Purchase your very own copy of the book - Beyond the Landing - The Centennial of the Establishment of the Morrinsville Town Board in 1908.